Monday, September 17, 2012

One step forward, two steps back

The email in response to my Open Records Request came today.  It was a typed transcript of the dispatch in reference to the call, not the call itself.  Not only was this unhelpful, but also quite irritating.  I asked for the call, not 45 minutes worth of who was on the way or when they arrived.  So I called, and was told I needed to fill out another request.

As I said the other day, I've been looking into legal defense funds and the way they are set up.  It is quite a maze to navigate, so my next option was to start a 501(c)3 non-profit, since that is the way the animal rescues I work with are set up.  Unfortunately, there is a specific rule that a non-profit cannot be organized or set up in such a way that any member or member's family benefits financially.  So that went out the window at 90. 

There is a silver lining!  I set up an LLC and filed for an EIN with the IRS just as I would for starting a small business.  I really wanted to make donations tax-deductible, but I just can't seem to make it work.  BUT I have a plan.  I will be selling some items and using the profits to pay the attorney.  You might be asking, "what items?".  Well, once I have them ready, I will unveil them here with much pomp and circumstance.  In the mean time, please keep sharing this message.  Justice may be slow, but we are working every day to get Brent out and make sure Lucas's story is known.

Thank you for your continued support.  <3

Here is a sneak peek of things to come:



----jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment