Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The forgotten art of letter writing

Many of you have sent me messages or posted comments on Facebook regarding the case, and sent both condolences and words of support.  I thank you for all of them!  I thought some of you might want to write to Brent yourselves and give him words of encouragement.  He has, after all, been sitting by himself in a 10'x10' cell (for reference, you know those canopies used at outdoor events?  Those are 10'x10') since the middle of April.  They don't even let him have a pillow.  I personally can't imagine sleeping without a pillow for six months.
The first letter I wrote to him got returned because I put some Peter Rabbit stickers on it.  They are very Gestapo-like with their postage rules.  You can only send letters, no cards.  You can send regular photos, but no Polaroids.  No stickers, funny ink or any tomfoolery is allowed.  And for the love of Jesus H. Christ on a cracker, don't write anything on the outside of the envelope except the "To" and "From" addresses on the front.  After all of that stress, don't forget to put the stamp on, or they won't deliver it (postal humor there.  It's terrible, I know).  There are probably other weird rules that I haven't unknowingly broken as well.
He has subscriptions to the newspaper and Entertainment Weekly, but he likes hearing from people.  Even if it's just to say hi, or let him know what you're doing, and he'll write you back. 
We're still waiting to hear news on the appeal, so who knows how much longer he'll be stuck there.

Brent Benefield
AD9214  S/36
P.O. Box 8526
Wichita Falls, TX  76307


And please continue to share.

And since it defaults to a picture of me if I don't add one:



<3,

---jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment